Friday, September 9, 2016

Digistise your slide collection and preserve our island stories






Digitise your slide collection and preserve our island stories

Do you have a slide collection tucked away in an old shoebox that you’d like to bring out for a ‘slide night’?  It’s sure to impress your friends!  Seriously though, if you have a collection of slides that tell us something of our Norfolk story, we’d love to hear from you.   

Over the past couple of months Mark Hallam has generously provided his time and equipment to digitise the Norfolk Island Museum slide collection.  Any day the weather is not conducive to volunteer his skills at the National Park you will find him in the old Guardhouse building in Kingston working on this digitisation project for the museum.  It was Mark that suggested we develop the Museum collection through digitising community owned slide collections.  Once Mark has digitised your slides, you take them home along with the digital copy; and the museum also retains a digital copy to add to our collection.

Firstly, call us on 23788 to discuss the content of your slides to ensure it fits with our collection focus, following that we will arrange a suitable time for you to hand them over to Mark to check the  condition and undertake the digitisation process. 

Already Mark has completed scanning thirteen hundred slides from our collection and just as he thought he was nearing the end, we received a parcel from Rita Hillier; and it was a box of slides.  Some may remember the Hillier and Harper Newsagency in Burnt Pine some years back and Rita’s photographic book “Norfolk Island” is still sold on the island today.    There’s sure to be a fantastic part of Norfolk’s story in amongst those slides.

It’s worth recognising that the pictures we take throughout our lives capture much more than personal memories.  They allow others now and in the future to have a glimpse of the landscape, buildings, people and style, activities and events at a point in time that would otherwise be unobtainable.

Contact either myself or Natasha on 23788 if you would like to share and preserve your part of our island’s story.

Janelle Blucher


 These images are from the Bill Davidson Collection - a visitors experience on Norfolk Island











1 comment:

  1. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete